For help for tenants of Housing Association properties, click here.

Housing help measures via the Welsh Government:

The Welsh Government has ensured that the legislation being developed by the UK Government, to suspend evictions from social or private rented accommodation will apply to Welsh tenants.

New protection under the emergency bill will include:

  • Landlords will be unable to start possession proceedings to evict tenants for at least a three-month period during the crisis and;
  • The three-month mortgage payment holiday will be extended to Buy to Let mortgages to protect landlords.

The action is being taken to protect both tenants and landlords affected by Coronavirus.

It is vital that no renter in Wales will be forced out of their home during this difficult and unprecedented time. These measures will alleviate pressures on landlords to meet mortgage payments and will further reduce pressure on tenants as a result.

The latest Welsh Government guidance to social landlords and information about homelessness services is here:

Discretionary Housing Payments through Cardiff Council

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) are for people who either receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit which includes a housing element towards their rent but need extra help with rent or housing costs. Cardiff Council have a limited amount of money to make these payments and can only make payments to those in greatest need.

You can find out more by clicking here.

Welsh Water and Utility Bills

Welsh Water have a range of support measures in place for customers in difficulty with their water bills during the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are having trouble paying your water bills, its imperative you contact Welsh Water ASAP – either online by clicking here, or by phone on 0800 052 0145 and they will be able to take you through some of the options available to you.

More information on support available from Welsh Water can be accessed by clicking here.

If you are having some trouble with your water bills and not getting the help you need from Welsh Water, please contact me using, or via 02921 329736 and I will raise your issue directly with Welsh Water.

Alternatively, Speakeasy Advice Clinic based in Roath have advisers on hand to help with a range of issues, including utility bills. You can find out more about the support they can offer by clicking here.