Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) are for people who either receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit which includes a housing element towards their rent but need extra help with rent or housing costs. Cardiff Council has a limited amount of money to make these payments and can only make payments to those in greatest need.

The Council can award DHP for various reasons including:

  • extra help for those starting work,
  • extra help for people affected by Size Restriction​ or the Benefit Cap,​
  • extra help for foster carers and people providing supported lodgings.

Extra help with rent

If your housing benefit does not cover all your rent, and you cannot afford to pay the difference, you may be entitled to a Discretionary Housing Payment. The Council will assess your circumstances to decide whether you are in financial need and have exceptional circumstances.

Further information and information on how to apply is on the Cardiff Council website here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>